This page describes SQL-based batch ingestion using the
druid-multi-stage-queryextension, new in Druid 24.0. Refer to the ingestion methods table to determine which ingestion method is right for you.
All authenticated users can use the multi-stage query task engine (MSQ task engine) through the UI and API if the extension is loaded. However, without additional permissions, users are not able to issue queries that read or write Druid datasources or external data. The permission needed depends on what the user is trying to do.
To submit a query:
- SELECT from a Druid datasource requires the READ DATASOURCE permission on that datasource.
- INSERT or REPLACE into a Druid datasource requires the WRITE DATASOURCE permission on that datasource.
- EXTERN requires READ permission on a resource named "EXTERNAL" with type "EXTERNAL". Users without the correct permission encounter a 403 error when trying to run queries that include EXTERN.
Once a query is submitted, it executes as a
query_controller task. Query tasks that
users submit to the MSQ task engine are Overlord tasks, so they follow the Overlord's security model. This means that
users with access to the Overlord API can perform some actions even if they didn't submit the query, including
retrieving status or canceling a query. For more information about the Overlord API and the task API, see APIs for
To interact with a query through the Overlord API, users need the following permissions:
- INSERT or REPLACE queries: Users must have READ DATASOURCE permission on the output datasource.
- SELECT queries: Users must have read permissions on the
__query_selectdatasource, which is a stub datasource that gets created.